THE GIRL WHO LURKS BEHIND THE WORK
Rachel Weaver is an Australian Surreal Horror Artist, specialising in sickly sweet creations. Her work is driven by an eternal love of all things scary, fused with 80's nostalgia and sugary pastels. Fuelled by a relentless and overactive imagination, her work thrills some and disturbs others...
Her work has been described as "delightfully horrid" and "weirdly cool" giving new meaning to the term "sickly sweet". Jelly beans mixed with maggots, chewed bubble gum, rotten teeth, rainbow sprinkles and bloodshot eyeballs.
I've dragged Willy Wonka kicking and screaming straight to hell.
The twisted contrast of decay and preservatives, gore and candy - I just love it! My work may be creepy, cute and nostalgic or just plain weird. I make what brings me joy. People either love it, or hate it. But they can't look away and they can't unsee it.
Rachel Weaver resides in the windy city of Geraldton Western Australia, creating her unusual artworks from polymer clay, resin and mixed media. She is happiest binge watching horror, sketching out strange ideas and eating gummy bears.
Please email Rachel directly regarding any inquiries you may have;
- 27th Nov 2021 - 30th Jan 2022 Midwest Art Prize | Geraldton Regional Art Gallery.
- 2021 REWIND | Post Office Lane Lightbox Gallery | Post Office Lane, Geraldton.
- 2019 Mid West Art Prize | Geraldton Regional Art Gallery.
- 2018 Petite Pieces | Aspire Gallery, Queensland.
- 2017 Hard Pressed - Steam Roller Prints | Old Boy's School, Fremantle.
- 2017 Hard Pressed - Steam Roller Prints | The Cannery Arts Centre, Esperance.
- 2017 Hard Pressed - Steam Roller Prints | ACDC Gallery, Geraldton.
- 2016 ArtDrive Midwest | Public Artworks, Walkaway.
- 2015 Baker Williamson Art Prize | Baker Williamson Studios, Geraldton.
- 2013 SKA (Square Kilometre Array) Seeing Stars Art Prize | Yarra Gallery, Melbourne.
- 2013 Midwest Art Prize | Geraldton Regional Art Gallery.
- 2010 Monster Mash - Solo Exhibition | ACDC Gallery, Geraldton.
- 2021 Critter Trail on Chapman | Commission, 2 artworks
- 2021 Geraldton Bollards Project | Winner, 1 artwork
- 2018 Christmas Tree Trail | Winner, 1 artwork
- 2017 Christmas Craypots | A Collaboration with Debbie Crothers
- 2016 Geraldton Bollards Project | Winner, 2 artworks
- 2016 ArtDrive | Artwork Installation with Kim Tetlow
- 2016 ArtDrive | Artwork Installations with Andrew Mills & Jane Greenlees | Kim Tetlow
- 2005 The Geraldton Regional Hospital | Children's Ward Artworks
FEATURES + PUBLICATIONS
- 2021 Horizons RAC Member Magazine | Dec/Jan 2022 Issue | A New Look for Geraldton
- 2021 Kato Poly Clay | Artists We Love
- 2021 The Geraldton Guardian | Chapman Road Rejuvenation Project
- 2021 cgg.wa.gov.au | Sickly Sweet Horror Creations Weave into Post Office Lane
- 2020 GWN7 News | YouTube (11.50) | Facebook
- 2020 The Geraldton Guardian | Horror and Candy a Recipe for Creepy Creative Display
- 2020 OdditiesBizarre.com | Bizarre Art Styles from Around the World
- 2018 The Geraldton Guardian | Tree Art Brings Xmas Colour to Geraldton's Marine Tce
- 2017 The Geraldton Guardian | Craypot Art a Great Catch
- 2016 The Geraldton Guardian | Artdrive Tour a Drawcard for Region
- 2014 The Geraldton Guardian | Stellar Cast, Dazzling Visuals
- 2010 The Geraldton Guardian | Monster of a Fun Time at Art Opening
- 2010 The Geraldton Guardian | Friday Fright Night to Mark Exhibition Debut
- 2005 The Geraldton Guardian | New Hospital is a Canvas for Local Art