THE GIRL WHO LURKS BEHIND THE WORK
Rachel Weaver is a graphic designer Monday - Thursday, but an artist always. Her work is driven by an eternal love of horror, fused with 80's nostalgia and life growing up in the Mid West region of Western Australia. She is happiest binge watching horror movies, sketching out strange ideas and eating gummy bears. Fuelled by caffeine and a relentless overactive imagination, her work thrills some and disturbs others...
The combination of horror elements fused with victuals in the artworks of Rachel Weaver gives new meaning to the term "sickly sweet". Candy, maggots, rotten teeth, blood spatter and fried eyes topped with sprinkles. Her work has been described as "delightfully horrid" and "weirdly cool".
Sugar and spice and things not so nice are what fill me with endless inspiration. The juxtaposition of decay and preservatives. Strange creatures, the things of nightmares...I create what I want to, to see it bought to life, real and in front of me. It may be creepy, cute or perhaps a little of both.
Rachel Weaver resides in the windy city of Geraldton Western Australia, creating unusual artworks from polymer clay and mixed media.
- 2019 Mid West Art Prize | Geraldton Regional Art Gallery.
- 2018 Petite Pieces | Aspire Gallery, Queensland.
- 2017 Hard Pressed - Steam Roller Prints | Old Boy's School, Fremantle.
- 2017 Hard Pressed - Steam Roller Prints | The Cannery Arts Centre, Esperance.
- 2017 Hard Pressed - Steam Roller Prints | ACDC Gallery, Geraldton.
- 2016 ArtDrive Midwest | Public Artworks, Walkaway.
- 2015 Baker Williamson Art Prize | Baker Williamson Studios, Geraldton
- 2013 SKA (Square Kilometre Array) Seeing Stars Art Prize | Yarra Gallery, Melbourne
- 2013 Midwest Art Prize | Geraldton Regional Art Gallery.
- 2010 Monster Mash - Solo Exhibition | ACDC Gallery, Geraldton.
FEATURES + PUBLICATIONS
- 2020 OdditiesBizarre.com | Bizarre Art Styles from Around the World