THE GIRL WHO LURKS BEHIND THE WORK
Rachel Weaver is an Australian Surreal Horror Artist, specialising in sickly sweet creations. Her work is driven by an eternal love of all things scary, fused with 80's nostalgia and sugary pastels. She grew devouring Goosebumps books and Stephen King late into the night. Fueled by a relentless and overactive imagination, her work thrills some and disturbs others...
Sugar and spice and things not so nice are what fill me with endless inspiration. The juxtaposition of decay and preservatives, gore and candy. Strange creatures...the things of nightmares...I create what brings me joy. To see it bought to life, real and in front of me. It may be creepy, cute or a little of both. People either love it, or hate it. They can't look away and they can't unsee it.
The combination of horror elements fused with victuals gives new meaning to the term "sickly sweet". Jelly beans, maggots, bubble gum, rotten teeth, rainbow sprinkles and bloodshot eyeballs. Her work has been described as "delightfully horrid" and "weirdly cool".
Rachel Weaver resides in the windy city of Geraldton Western Australia, creating her unusual artworks from polymer clay, resin and mixed media. She is happiest binge watching horror, sketching out strange ideas and eating gummy bears.
Please email Rachel directly regarding any inquiries you may have;
- 2019 Mid West Art Prize | Geraldton Regional Art Gallery.
- 2018 Petite Pieces | Aspire Gallery, Queensland.
- 2017 Hard Pressed - Steam Roller Prints | Old Boy's School, Fremantle.
- 2017 Hard Pressed - Steam Roller Prints | The Cannery Arts Centre, Esperance.
- 2017 Hard Pressed - Steam Roller Prints | ACDC Gallery, Geraldton.
- 2016 ArtDrive Midwest | Public Artworks, Walkaway.
- 2015 Baker Williamson Art Prize | Baker Williamson Studios, Geraldton.
- 2013 SKA (Square Kilometre Array) Seeing Stars Art Prize | Yarra Gallery, Melbourne.
- 2013 Midwest Art Prize | Geraldton Regional Art Gallery.
- 2010 Monster Mash - Solo Exhibition | ACDC Gallery, Geraldton.
FEATURES + PUBLICATIONS
- 2020 GWN7 News (23.10.2020) | YouTube (11.50) | Facebook
- 2020 The Geraldton Guardian | Horror and Candy a Recipe for Creepy Creative Display
- 2020 OdditiesBizarre.com | Bizarre Art Styles from Around the World
- 2018 The Geraldton Guardian | Tree Art Brings Christmas Colour to Geraldton's Marine Terrace
- 2017 The Geraldton Guardian | Craypot Art a Great Catch
- 2016 The Geraldton Guardian | Artdrive Tour a Drawcard for Region
- 2014 The Geraldton Guardian | Stellar Cast, Dazzling Visuals
- 2010 The Geraldton Guardian | Monster of a Fun Time at Art Opening
- 2010 The Geraldton Guardian | Friday Fright Night to Mark Exhibition Debut
- 2005 The Geraldton Guardian | New Hospital is a Canvas for Local Art